Meet Tamer Seckin, MD: An Internationally Renowned Endometriosis Specialist
Tamer Seckin, MD
Dr. Seckin is an endometriosis specialist and women’s reproductive health advocate. He has been in private practice for over 30 years at Lenox Hill Hospital with a team of highly skilled personnel.
Dr. Seckin specializes in advanced laparoscopic procedures and is recognized for his expertise in complex cases of deep infiltrating endometriosis of the pelvis. He is particularly dedicated to performing fertility-preserving surgeries on cases involving the ovaries.
He has developed patented surgical techniques, most notably the “Aqua Blue Excision” technique for better visualization of endometriosis lesions. His surgical techniques are based on precision and microsurgery, emphasizing organ and fertility preservation, and adhesion and pain prevention.
Dr. Seckin is considered a pioneer and advocate in the field of endometriosis.
Founder of the Endometriosis Foundation of America
In 2009, Dr. Seckin, an endometriosis specialist co-founded the Endometriosis Foundation of America (EndoFound), the first advocacy foundation organized by a practicing physician to raise awareness and emphasize the critical value of early diagnosis and surgical excision treatment of endometriosis. Under his guidance as Medical Director, EndoFound strives to increase disease recognition, provide advocacy, facilitate expert surgical training, and fund landmark endometriosis research.
Dr. Seckin’s books
Educator and lecturer
In 2010, Dr. Seckin organized the first EndoFound Annual Medical Symposium: “Stem Cells to Excision Surgery.” Several other symposiums followed this, including: “Let’s Talk About Sex & Endometriosis…Seriously!“, “Tapping the Roots for the Next Generation” and “The American Perspective on Endometriosis.”
The annual medical conference brings together top surgeons and scientists from around the world to train the next generation of medical professionals.
Also in 2010, Dr. Seckin founded the Fellowship in Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery (FMIGS) in affiliation with the AAGL/SRS at North Shore/LIJ-Lenox Hill Hospital, where he is the Clinical Instructor for Obstetrics & Gynecology.
Currently, Dr. Seckin is working with the Feinstein Institute for Medical Research on a genetic research initiative to create the first endometriosis tissue bank in the United States.
He is the treasurer and an executive committee member of the International Society of Gynecological Endoscopy (ISGE).
He is also a member of the American Medical Association, the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, the European Society of Reproductive Endocrinology, the Society of Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgeons, The American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopy, The American Society for Reproductive Medicine, The Society of Reproductive Surgeons, and The Society of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility.
Dr. Seckin’s Awards and recognition
Honors and prizes
- 2020 Patients Choice Award Vitals
- May 2020 Super Doctors New York Times Magazine
- 2019 – Patients Choice Award – Vitals
- May 2017 – Outstanding Achievement Award, American Turkish Society
- June 2016 – Teacher of the Year – Lenox Hill Hospital Dpt. of Ob/Gyn
- April 2012 – Ellis Island Medal of Honor – Ellis Island Honors Society
- May 2012 – Super Doctors – New York Times Magazine
- 2011-2012 – Best Doctor Award – Best Doctors in America
- June 2009 – Silver Star Award – Lenox Hill Hospital Dpt. of Ob/Gyn
- 2008 – Patients Choice Award
- June 2006 – President’s Award – Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center
Dr. Seckin’s Peer reviewed publications in print or other media
- Lora Liu, MD, Serin Seckin, MD, Karli Goldstein, DO, and Tamer Seckin, MD – Dual Compartment Surgery for Pulmonary Endometriosis.
- Hong Qu, Lihong Li, Tian-Li, Wang, Tamer Seckin, James Segars & Ie-Ming Shih. Epithelial Cells in Endometriosis and Adenomyosis Upregulate STING Expression. Reproductive Sciences. January 6, 2020.
- Warren, L. A., Shih, A., Renteira, S. M., Seckin, T., Blau, B., Simpfendorfer, K., Lee, Metz, C. Analysis of menstrual effluent: diagnostic potential for endometriosis. Molecular Medicine, 2018 24:1, March 19, 2018. Gupta, J., Cardoso, L. F., Harris, C. S., Dance, A. D., Seckin, T., Baker, N.,…Ferguson, Y. O. (2018).
- How do adolescent girls and boys perceive symptoms suggestive of endometriosis among their peers? Findings from focus group discussions in New York City. BMJ Journals, June 2018. Anglesio, M. S., Papadopoulos, N., Ayhan, A., Nazeran, T.M., Noë, M., Horlings, H. M., Lum, A.Jones, S.
- Cancer-Associated Mutations in Endometriosis without Cancer. New England Journal of Medicine, Vol. 376, No. 19 . May 11, 2017. Becker, C. M., Laufer, M. R., Stratton, P., Hummelshoi, L., Missmer, S. A., Zondervan, K. T Seckin, Adamson, G. D. (2014). Surgical phenotype data collection in endometriosis research. World Endometriosis Research Foundation Endometriosis
- Phenome and Biobanking Harmonisation Project: I. Fertility & Sterility. Johnson N., Hummelshoi, L , Becker, C. M., Laufer, M. R., Stratton, P.,., Missmer, S. A., Zondervan, K. Seckin T, Adamson. Consensus on current management of endometriosis. Human Reproduction, Volume 28, Issue 6, June 2013 Ayhan, A., Mao, T. L., Seckin, T., Wu, C. H., Guan, B., Ogawa,…H., Futagami. (2012).
- Loss of ARID1A Expression Is an Early Molecular Event in Tumor Progression from Ovarian Endometriotic Cyst to Clear Cell and Endometrioid Carcinoma. International Journal of Gynecological Cancer. October 2012. Singer, T., Filmar, G., Jormark, S., Seckin, T., & Divon, M. (2010)
- Rare case of ovarian cystic lymphangioma. Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology, 17:1553-4650, January 2010. Caglar, H., Tamer S., Hreshchyshyn, M. Vulvar Intraepithelial Neoplasia. Obstetric Gynecology, 60:346-349, 1982.
- Non-Peer Reviewed Scientific or Medical Publications/Materials in Print or Other Media Tamer Seckin, Bahar Yuksel, Serin Seckin, Ayse Ayhan.
- ABC of Endometriosis Surgery: Aqua Blue Contrast Technique. February 27, 2020 Seckin, T., Chu, A., & Baum, S. (2018).
- Hysteroscopic Findings in the Endometriosis Patient. In Hysteroscopy. Springer International Publishing. Seckin, T., Reich, H.
- Laparoscopic Surgery for Adhesions. Practical Manual of Minimally Invasive Gynecologic and Robotic Surgery: A Clinical Cook Book. CRC Press 2018 Seckin, T., Seckin, S., & Reich, H. (2017).
- Definitive Surgery for Endometriosis after Completion of Family Planning. In Endometriosis – A Concise Practical Guide to Current Diagnosis and Treatment. Endo Press. Mettler, L., Peters, G., Seckin T., Herendael B., & Alkatout, I. (2013).
- Suturing and Ligature Techniques at Laparoscopy. In Practical Manual for Laparoscopic and Hysteroscopic Gynecological Surgery, 2nd (pp. 111-120). Jaypee Brother Medical Publishers. Reich, H., Reich, J. M., & Seckin T. (2007).
- Laparoscopic Hysterectomy Including for Advanced Endometriosis with Rectosigmoid Disease. In J. Donnez (ed.), Atlas of Operative Laparoscopy and Hysteroscopy, 3rd ed. (pp. 93-112). Abingdon, England: Informa Healthcare. Orbuch, I., Reich, H., & Seckin T. (2007).
- Does the Way Hysterectomy is Performed Make a Difference? How to Prevent Prolapse at the Time of Hysterectomy. In Genital Prolapse and Urinary Incontinence, Vol. 4. London, England: Taylor & Francis Inc. Reich, H., & Seckin T. Reich. (2006).
- Modification of the McCall Culdoplasty to Prevent and/or Repair Prolapse During Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy. In N. Jain (ed.), State of the Art Atlas and Textbook of Laparoscopic Suturing. New Delhi, India: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers.
- Professional Educational Materials or Reports, in Print or Other Media HuffPost (2019). Women Discuss the Invisible Pain of Endometriosis. Huffington Post. Boodman, S. G. (September 2018). Doctors Dismissed Her, But She Turned Out to Be Right After Years of Needless Suffering. The Washington Post. Saunders, L. (March 2018). The Woman Was Fit and Healthy, Why Did Her Lung Mysteriously Collapse? New York Times.
- Abstracts, Poster Presentations and Exhibits Presented at Professional Meetings MF Antero, L Li, T Chu, L Cope, TL Wang, T Seckin.
- Adenomyosis and peritoneal endometriosis exhibit a clonal relationship with eutopic endometrium. ASRM 2020 Virtual October 18, 2020 Serin Seckin, Tamer Seckin, Karli Goldstein.
- Preoperative serum anti-mullerian hormone levels in women with ovarian endometriosis compared to women with peritoneal endometriosis. Fertility and Sterility, September 1, 2019. AAGL, Reykjavik, Iceland, Global Endometriosis Summit.
- Recurrent Catamenial Pneumothorax. 2017. Seckin, T., Ozkan, S., Akdemir, A., & Seckin, S.
- Single site ovarian suspension (SSOS), Seckin® technique, for endometriosis surgery of pelvic sidewalls and retroperitoneum.
Ready for a Consultation?Our endometriosis specialists are dedicated to providing patients with expert care. Whether you have been diagnosed or are looking to find a doctor, they are ready to help.
Our office is located on 872 Fifth Avenue New York, NY 10065.
You may call us at (212) 988-1444 or have your case reviewed by clicking here.