Questions to Ask Your Doctor
Below is a list of some questions you may want to ask your surgeon before undergoing laparoscopic surgery for endometriosis.
Questions about the surgeon
- How many laparoscopies have you performed to diagnose and treat endometriosis?
- How long have you been performing laparoscopic surgery?
- Is it your intention to excise endometriosis at the time of the laparoscopy? If so, what method will you use (excision, ablation, etc.)?
- How successful do you believe that method will be and why?
Questions about the operation
- If the laparoscopy will be strictly diagnostic and no therapeutic measures will be taken, why?
- Will you perform biopsies and send them to pathology?
- Are other surgical professionals such as a bowel specialist be present to assist you to treat endometriosis in that area?
- Will a bowel resection be necessary?
- Will you search for and recognize endometriosis in all manifestations, and in all regions?
Questions about after the surgery
- Will you provide copies of my surgical reports and any pictures or videotapes?
- What do you expect to accomplish with the laparoscopy in terms of outcome, i.e., restoration of fertility and pain relief?
- What is the general recurrence rate in patients you have treated?
- Will you use adhesion barriers? If so, what kind? If not, why not?
Ready for a Consultation?Our endometriosis specialists are dedicated to providing patients with expert care. Whether you have been diagnosed or are looking to find a doctor, they are ready to help.
Our office is located on 872 Fifth Avenue New York, NY 10065.
You may call us at (212) 988-1444 or have your case reviewed by clicking here.